MetaMask — How To Set Up
MetaMask is one of the most popular browser extensions that serves as a way of storing your Ethereum and other ERC-20 Tokens. The extension is free and secure, and it allows web applications to read and interact with Ethereum’s blockchain.
How to get MetaMask:
- Go to the MetaMask website — https://metamask.io/
- Click “Download now” to install MetaMask — select the appropriate browser / operating system for your own.
- Click “Add to Chrome(or whatever your browser may be)” in the upper right.
- Click “Add Extension” to complete the installation.
You will know MetaMask has been installed when you can see the fox logo in the upper right hand corner of the browser.
One of the first things you will want to do on MetaMask is to install a wallet to hold your assets. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Click on the fox logo in the upper right hand corner of your browser, it will open the extension.
- You will need to select to create or import a wallet as well as read and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Enter a password and click “Create” to create your wallet.
- You will see a set of 12 “seed words” for your wallet. Click “Save Seed Words as File” and copy the “MetaMask Seed Words” file that is downloaded to a safe place. You will need it to access your wallet in the event that you lose access for any reason and need to regain it.
- Click “I’ve Copied It Somewhere Safe” once your seed words file has been secured.
- Congratulations! Your wallet will be successfully created at this point!
You are now on the Ethereum mainnet. To start experimenting with MetaMask, you can change to other networks including the test networks by selecting “Main Network” in the left hand corner of the wallet pop up, and selecting one of the testnets such as Ropsten or Kovan Test Network. However, this is also where you will find additional networks that you can add yourself. For example, it is possible to add Binance Smart Chain (BSC), Avalanche (AVAX), Matic and more! This allows you to use the same browser extension wallet (MetaMask) on multiple chains reducing the complexity and requirements for interoperability.
Please note that each network is separate from one another, so your assets on one chain will not carry over to another but will remain on the network / chain that they originated on unless you attempt to transfer them cross chain specifically.
Learn more about MetaMask: